Losing weight and living an overall healthy lifestyle isn’t easy – I know! But with the right tools in place, you will be able to lose weight and keep it off in a sustainable and healthy way. To help get you started on your path to achieving optimal health, here are a list of apps worth checking out in 2022.
· MyFitnessPal: The most popular and well-known food and fitness tracker, is a free way to get you started! Study after study shows that tracking your food using a food log helps you be more consistent and accurate with your intake while holding you accountable at the same time. MyFitnessPal is all about making the food log experience as easy and stress-free as possible by providing an extensive searchable food database with over 3,000 food items, scanning barcodes, syncing to your wearable fitness tracker (Fitbit, Garmin, Apple Watch, etc.), and the ability to create your own food database. MyFitnessPal | MyFitnessPal.com
· Daily Workouts – Home Trainer: A FREE and great way to get a good sweat in as little as 5-30 minutes. The workouts are no to little equipment required and is great for beginners or those looking back to getting into the habit of exercising. This app provides over 100 exercises containing both targeted and full body exercises. And bonus – there are instructional videos guiding you through each movement! Daily Workout Apps
· Sworkit: This free app is great for people of all fitness levels and no gym or equipment is required. Sworkit allows individuals to set goals, workout routines, and learn new exercises and movements. This is a great way to get back to a regular exercise routine without paying the high cost of gym memberships. You are even afforded the opportunity to privately message the app’s trainers with questions. Sworkit Health | At Home Workouts and Fitness Plans
· Insight Timer: Best app for meditation and mindfulness. Focuses on areas such as stress, sleep, and anxiety. Insight Timer provides a database of over 130,000 free meditations ranging from 5 minutes to 30 minutes or more. These are best to get you in the right headspace and mindset first thing in the morning before you start your day or at the end of your day to relax you and clear your mind before bed. No matter how much or little time you have or areas of wellness you want to focus on, this app has you covered! Insight Timer - #1 Free Meditation App for Sleep, Relax & More
· MyMacros+: While this app does cost $2.99 to purchase and use, it is a great option no matter what your fitness or weight goals. I consider this like a beefed-up version of MyFitnessPal. With over 5 million food items to choose from and the customizable feature, this app can be your one-stop-shop for food logging. My Macros+ (getmymacros.com)
· Pear Sports: This is a personal trainer in your pocket. Perfect for those who want a personal trainer but don’t have access to one or the ability to go to an actual gym regularly. This app syncs to your smartphone or smartwatch and adjusts your workouts based on the data being collected. This customizable app provides features such as workout builder and chat between trainer and client. Great for individuals of all fitness levels and best part is Pear offers a free demo! PEAR Sports
· C25K: If you want to try running but are a beginner and don’t know where to start than this app is for you! C25K literally is designed to get you off the couch and get you across the finish line of your first 5k (3.2 mile) race. All you need is a pair of running shoes, headphones, fitness tracker and 30 to 40 minutes a day, and you will be ready to run your first race in no time. Each workout includes a 5-minute warmup and 5-minute cooldown. C25K – 5K Trainer. The #1 Couch to 5K running app on iPhone and Android. (c25kfree.com)
The final verdict? If you are looking for a free app that has everything you need to get you started, then don’t look past MyFitnessPal. This truly can get you started on your path to meeting your goals and it connects to a ton of other apps! If you need a mental break or timeout, then Insight Timer is for you! And lastly, the Daily Workouts app is your one-stop-shop for free at-home workouts that won’t require a ton of your time but will get your body moving and burning calories! I suggest giving each of these apps a try to see which best meets your needs and goals. Each of these apps provide different benefits, so there is no perfect answer for everyone.
What apps have I used and prefer? I love Insight Timer for anxiety and sleep. I prefer to spend 5-minutes of my morning in deep thought and getting my mind right for the day ahead. MyMacros+ is another favorite of mine for food tracking. While it costs a bit of money, you can’t beat the extensive food database it provides to help logging be just a bit easier. Finally, C25K is an app I use from time to time to get me back to running when I have fallen off the wagon. It is perfect because it is like having a personal running coach in your pocket!
Which are your favorite apps?